Chassis No. 1980405500496
Engine No. 1989805500484 (matching)
On July 7, 1955 this 300SL Gullwing was delivered new to Los Angeles in Ivory color with blue Leather. Later repainted red.
In 1990 it was exported from California to private collection in Austria.
In 2000 the Austrian collector sent it to GH Ltd. in Germany, world renouned 300SL restoration experts. GH Ltd. rebuilt the mechanics in anticipation of new paint intended by its then owner.
In 2003 I inspected it at GH Ltd. before it was repainted, acquired it and transported the Gullwing back to California and enjoyed it for twenty years in its red repaint.
In 2022 it was restored by Hjeltness Restoration in Southern California. Repainted in Mercedes Strawberry Red with light blue leather interior.
G.H. Ltd. mechanical work included the following:
2. All oil pipes
3. Clutch Assembly (complete)
4. Water lid on side of engine
5. Thermostat and thermostat housing
6. Brakes: wheel cylinders, linings, brake master cylinder and brake servo
7. Front axle rubbers
8. Engine and gearbox mountings
9. 4-shock absorbers
10. 2-coil springs for front axle
11. all bushings for gearlever
12. steering shock absorber
13. new rubber moldings for doors, windows, trunk and engine hood
14. Underfloor panels
15. Wiring loom complete
16. G.H. Ltd. fabricated new under door rocker panels.
17. New pistons, crankshaft and con rod bearings, timing chains, valves, valve guides and seats, camshaft bearings, crown wheels, gasket set.
18. Overhaul of cylinder head, oil pump, water pump, generator, starter, injection pump, and injectors.
19. Machining of camshaft and crankshaft
20. Conversion of oil and air filter internally to paper filters
In 2022, Hjeltness performed a body on restoration to high quality show standards. Only one Gullwing was originally painted Mercedes Strawberry Red and it is such a gorgeous and unusual color that it was chosen for this Gullwing, with light blue leather interior and blue/red plaid summer seats.
Air conditioning was designed and installed by Hjeltness. It is subtle and looks to have been factory designed and installed. More importantly, unlike attempts by others to achieve this A/C goal, this system operates flawlessly and ice cold overcoming the only issue I ever had with the poor air flow of the Gullwing.