Chassis No. 1980405500496
Engine No. 1989805500484 (matching)
This 300SL Gullwing was delivered new to Los Angeles on July 7, 1955 in DB 608 Ivory color with 333 Blue Leather. Later repainted red.
In approximately 1990 it was exported from California to Austria to a private collection.
In 2003 I inspected the Gullwing at GH Ltd. and acquired it. GH Ltd. had removed the dash in order to fill in a non-stock dash gauge hole in preparation for repainting the entire vehicle.
The mechanics and engine were refurbished before the intended new paint and upholstery. I transported the Gullwing back to California intending to do this work under the supervision of my own private restoration staff and facilities.
Here is a list of the mechanical work that has been renewed on the Gullwing:
- All oil pipes
- Clutch Assembly (complete)
- Water lid on side of engine
- Thermostat and thermostat housing
- Brakes: wheel cylinders, linings, brake master cylinder and brake servo
- Front axle rubbers
- Engine and gearbox mountings
- 4-shock absorbers
- 2-coil springs for front axle
- all bushings for gearlever
- steering shock absorber
- new rubber moldings for doors, windows, trunk and engine hood
- Underfloor panels
- Wiring loom complete
- G.H. Ltd. fabricated new under door rocker panels.
The engine was completely overhauled including:
- New pistons, crankshaft and con rod bearings, timing chains, valves, valve guides and seats, camshaft bearings, crown wheels, gasket set.
- Overhaul of cylinder head, oil pump, water pump, generator, starter, injection pump, and injectors.
- Machining of camshaft and crankshaft
- Conversion of oil and air filter internally to paper filters
My full time in-house factory trained mechanic has regularly “fogged” the Gullwing engine and maintained its integrity.